Returns on Shopify are as straightforward as they can get. You do not need to worry about fraud or chargebacks, as all returns are processed through Shopify’s standard refund process. Following is a step-by-step guide on how to refund on Shopify store:
How To Refund On Shopify? A Detailed Answer
Refunding a customer on Shopify is a straightforward process that can be done through your Shopify admin dashboard. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to issue a refund:
- Log in to your Shopify admin dashboard and navigate to the “Orders” section.
- Find the order you want refunding and click on it to open the order details.
- Click on the “Refund” button next to the order total.
- Select the items you like to refund and adjust the quantities if necessary. You can also add a reason for the refund if you want.
- Choose the refund method. Shopify offers various refund methods, including refunding to the original payment method, refunding with store credit, or issuing a manual refund.
- Click on the “Refund” button to complete the refund process.
- Shopify will automatically send an email notification to the customer to let them know the refund has been processed.
You need to keep a few things in mind when processing refunds. For example, if you have set up inventory tracking, then refunding an item will return it to your inventory. And some payment gateways have time limitations on when you can issue a refund, such as with PayPal, you need to give the refund within 180 days.
If a customer is requesting a refund after this time, you can issue them store credit instead. Most importantly, your store must have a clear refund policy, so customers know what to expect regarding refund eligibility and time frames.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does It Cost To Refund On Shopify?
Generally, Shopify does not charge additional fees to process a refund on its platform. Following are a few exceptions to this:
- Payment Gateway Fees: Depending on your payment gateway, you may be charged a fee to process the refund. This fee will vary depending on the gateway and the refund amount.
- Interchange Fees: If you refund an order made with a credit card, you may be charged an interchange fee. This fee is charged by the credit card issuer and is typically a small percentage of the refund amount.
- Transaction Fees: Some Payment gateway providers charge transaction fees on any transaction, refund or otherwise. You will need to check with your Payment gateway provider if this applies to you.
- Refunding Shipping Fees: If you refund the shipping fees for an order, you will not be refunded the shipping fees that you paid to the carrier.
How Do I Cancel An Order On Shopify?
To cancel an order on Shopify, you must navigate to the “Orders” section of your Shopify admin panel. Find the one you must cancel and click on it to open the order details page. You should see a button or link labeled “Cancel Order” on this page.
Clicking this button will prompt you to specify a reason for the cancellation and allow you to enter any additional information you would like to include. Once you have entered this information, you can click the “Cancel Order” button to complete the process.
It depends on the stage of the order and the laws that apply to your business. If the order has already been fulfilled or shipped, you can not cancel it, and you may need to process a return instead. Also, check your store policy and laws regarding refunding, returning, and canceling the order.
How Long Do Shopify Refunds Take?
The time it takes for a refund to be processed on Shopify can vary depending on a few factors, including the payment gateway used for the transaction and the refund method you choose.
When you initiate a refund on Shopify, the refund amount is first credited back to the customer’s original payment method, which the payment gateway will then process. The refund process can take a few days to a week, depending on the payment gateway and bank.
For example, if the customer used a credit card as a payment method, the refund process can take up to 7-10 business days to show on the customer’s account. The refund must go through the credit card network before it appears on the customer’s statement.
On the other hand, if the customer paid through Paypal, it usually takes less time, around 3-5 days. Keep in mind that some gateways have refund policies, and some banks or financial institutions may take longer to process refunds. So the timeline can vary.
Refunding a customer is a simple process. If your shop gets a lot of returns, find out how and why customers are returning their orders in the Shopify help center. Also, set up a returns policy in your store to let customers know what to expect when returning an item.