Are you planning to start an online e-commerce business? Choose a company or brand name, write a business plan, and, last but not least, choose a reliable, beneficial, secure, and budget-friendly platform.
Is your Choice Shopify? Let me tell you, it is a secure platform that equally facilitates new business comers. It is an internationally used all-in-one platform that provides its users with multiple themes, features, and many more choices.
After you have chosen Shopify for your online e-commerce business, your next question will probably be, “How Much Does It Cost To Build Shopify Website”
But there is no exact answer to this question, as Shopify offers multiple pricing plans which vary depending on the users’ stage of business growth.
So in this blog, we will discuss different pricing plans for Shopify website development and the factors that affect it.
Factors That Affect The Pricing Of Shopify Websites
The cost of building a website can vary greatly depending on several factors. Here are some critical factors that can affect the pricing of building a Shopify website:
The design of your Shopify website can significantly impact the cost. If you require a custom design, it will be more expensive than choosing a pre-designed template. A custom design requires more time, effort, and skill from a designer or agency, which translates into a higher cost.
The functionality of your website will also affect the cost. The cost will increase if you require advanced features such as subscription services, membership areas, or custom checkout processes.
- Third-party apps;
Shopify offers a vast range of third-party apps that can integrate with your website to add additional functionality. While some apps are free, others require a monthly subscription fee that can quickly add up, increasing the cost of building your website.
The amount and type of content you need on your website will also affect the cost. If you require many pages, images, or videos, it will take more time and effort to create, organize and optimize this content for your website.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is essential for the visibility and success of your website. If you want your website to rank higher in search engine results, you will need to invest in optimizing your website. It can include on-page optimization, link building, content marketing, and other SEO strategies, which can increase the cost of building your website.
- E-commerce features;
Shopify is primarily an e-commerce platform. You must invest in e-commerce features such as product pages, a shopping cart, payment processing, and shipping integration to sell products online. The cost of these features will depend on the complexity and scale of your e-commerce operation.
- Agency or Freelancer;
The choice of the agency or freelancer you hire to build your website can also affect the cost. Freelancers generally charge less than agencies, but they may need more resources and experience and may take more time to complete the project. On the other hand, agencies may have a higher hourly rate, but they usually have more resources and experience and can complete the project more quickly.
You should consider these factors before choosing a Shopify Pricing plan. You can also consult with experts before investing your money.
How Much Does Shopify Design Cost?
The cost of Shopify design can vary on many factors, including the complexity of the design, the amount of customization required, and the experience level of the designer.
Here are some general guidelines on Shopify design costs:
- Pre-made themes:
If you choose a pre-made theme, you can expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $300 for a premium theme. Some complimentary themes are also available.
- Customized themes:
If you need a customized theme, you may need to hire a Shopify developer, which can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000.
- Design updates:
If you need to update an existing Shopify theme, the cost will depend on the extent of the updates required. Minor updates may cost a few hundred dollars, while more extensive updates could cost several thousand dollars.
- Custom design:
If you need a completely custom design, you may need to hire a Shopify designer, which can cost anywhere from $1,000 to $10,000 or more, depending on the project’s complexity.
- Additional design services:
If you need additional design services such as logo design, branding, or product photography, these will be additional costs. The cost of these services can vary depending on the provider.
Shopify`s Pricing plan
Shopify offers different pricing plans for building a website that caters to business needs and budgets. Here are Shopify’s current pricing plans:
- Basic Shopify
- Advanced Shopify
- Shopify plus
So, let’s discuss these plans along with their pricing, merits, demerits, and additional features of each plan.
1. Basic Shopify Plan
Shopify Basic is the entry-level pricing plan for building an online store using the Shopify platform. This plan is perfect for small businesses or entrepreneurs who are just starting and want to keep their costs low while still having all the essential features they need to build a professional-looking website.
- Features and merits
- Online store with unlimited products, bandwidth, and storage.
- Two staff accounts for delegation and management.
- 24/7 customer support via phone, email, or live chat.
- A website with a blog section to provide more information about your business.
- Automatic carrier shipping rates based on location and weight.
- Discount codes to incentivize purchases and reward loyalty.
- Manual order creation for offline or phone sales.
- Fraud analysis tools to identify potentially fraudulent orders.
- Shopify POS for in-person sales and inventory management.
- Gift card creation for customers to purchase and use on your website.
- Limited features compared to more expensive plans.
- It only allows for two staff accounts, which can be a limitation for larger businesses.
- Higher transaction fees for using third-party payment providers.
- Limited availability of specific payment gateways in some countries.
- No advanced reporting or custom report creation.
- Limited design options for your online store.
- Limited availability of some advanced marketing and SEO features.
- pricing of this plan:
The Shopify Basic plan starts at $29 per month, as of my knowledge cutoff of September 2021. This price includes all the earlier features, such as creating a fully functional online store, a blog with a blog, discount codes, and more.
2. Shopify Plan
The “Shopify” pricing plan is the mid-tier option offered by Shopify, designed for businesses that need more features and capabilities than the Basic plan offers. This plan is well-suited for growing companies needing more advanced tools and features to manage their operations and maximize revenue.
The Shopify plan includes all the features of the Basic Shopify plan, plus several additional features, such as professional reporting, abandoned cart recovery, and the ability to create and sell gift cards. Additionally, it offers a lower credit card processing fee than the Basic plan, which can result in significant savings for businesses that process a high volume of transactions.
Some other key features of the Shopify plan include the following:
- Merits/ Features
- Five staff accounts allow greater flexibility in managing your team and delegating tasks.
- More advanced shipping features include the ability to print shipping labels and fulfill orders directly through the Shopify platform.
- Access to third-party calculated shipping rates can help ensure that you are charging customers the correct amount for shipping based on their location.
- Access to the Shopify POS system allows you to sell in-person at your brick-and-mortar store or pop-up shop and manage your inventory across multiple locations.
- Higher monthly cost compared to the Basic plan.
- Additional transaction fees for using third-party payment providers.
- Limited availability of specific payment gateways in some countries.
- Limited design options for your online store, especially if you’re not proficient in coding or web design.
- It may not include advanced features that larger businesses need, such as more advanced shipping rules or custom reports.
- The gift card feature is only available in certain countries.
- Pricing of this plan
The Shopify pricing plan starts at $79 per month. This price includes all the features of the Basic Shopify plan, plus the additional features and capabilities mentioned earlier, such as professional reporting, abandoned cart recovery, and gift card creation. As of my knowledge cutoff was in September 2021.
The Shopify plan is an excellent choice for growing businesses needing more advanced features to support their operations and maximize revenue. While it does come with a higher monthly cost than the Basic plan, the additional features and capabilities can be well worth it for businesses that need them.
3. Advanced Shopify Plan
The Advanced Shopify plan includes all the features of the Shopify plan, plus several additional features, such as advanced report builder, third-party calculated shipping rates, and the ability to create custom reports.
Additionally, it offers even lower credit card processing fees than the Shopify plan, which can result in significant savings for businesses that process a high volume of transactions.
Some of the merits, key features, demerits, and pricing for this plan are discussed below.
- It allows 15 staff accounts, allowing greater flexibility in managing your team and delegating tasks.
- It offers more advanced shipping features, such as creating your own shipping rules based on weight or order value.
- Access to Shopify APIs can allow for more extensive customization and integration with other platforms and tools.
- The ability to create up to 8 clone stores can be helpful for businesses with multiple locations or brands.
- Higher monthly costs than other Shopify plans can be a significant expense for small businesses or those with lower sales volumes.
- Its Additional transaction fees for using third-party payment providers, which can add up and eat into your profit margins.
- It may be optional for smaller businesses that don’t require this plan’s advanced features and capabilities.
- Limited design options for your online store, especially if you need to improve coding or web design.
- It Limited the availability of specific payment gateways in some countries.
- The gift card feature is only available in certain countries.
- It may require technical expertise or the assistance of a developer to take advantage of the advanced APIs.
As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, the Advanced Shopify pricing plan costs $299 per month. This price includes all the features of the Shopify and Shopify plan and the additional features and capabilities that come with the Advanced Shopify plan.
Such as advanced report building, third-party calculated shipping rates, and access to advanced APIs.
4. Shopify Plus Plan
Shopify Plus is the enterprise-level pricing plan offered by Shopify. It is designed for high-volume businesses with complex needs and requirements, such as large-scale retailers, global brands, and high-growth companies.
Shopify Plus provides a range of advanced features and capabilities not available in other Shopify pricing plans, making it well-suited for businesses that need a highly scalable, customizable, and flexible e-commerce platform to support their operations and growth.
- Merits or Features
- Dedicated support from a team of account managers, technical support specialists, and launch engineers are available 24/7 to assist with any issues or questions.
- Advanced APIs allow deep integrations with other platforms and tools and enable extensive customization and automation.
- It is a Customizable checkout process, with the ability to fully customize the checkout page and approach to fit your brand and business needs.
- Scalable infrastructure can handle high volumes of traffic and transactions without sacrificing performance or speed.
- It Automates workflows, with the ability to create custom automation and workflows to streamline and optimize your operations.
- Shopify Plus is significantly more expensive than another pricing plan.
- High development costs.
- Limited control over the infrastructure.
- Limited access to data.
- Limited support for multi-store setups.
The pricing for Shopify Plus is private. It can vary depending on many factors, such as the size and complexity of your business, your annual revenue, and the features and services you require. However, the plan has a minimum monthly cost of $2,000 and a one-time onboarding fee of $2,000.
- Additional Information
In addition to these plans, Shopify offers add-ons such as additional staff accounts, a Shopify POS (point of sale) system, and an advanced report builder for an extra cost.
It’s also worth noting that Shopify offers a 14-day free trial for all of its pricing plans, including the Basic plan, so you can try out the platform and see if it’s the right choice for your business before committing to a paid subscription.
It’s important to note that each pricing plan has transaction fees associated with it if you use a payment gateway other than Shopify Payments. Depending on the plan, these fees can be lowered using Shopify Payments.
How can I Calculate the Cost of Website Development?
Calculating the cost of a Shopify website based on the size of the Store can be a helpful way to estimate the budget required for your project. Here are some approximate cost ranges based on store size:
- Small Store (up to 50 products):
A small Shopify store can typically be developed for $1,000 to $10,000.
It would include the essential features required for an online store, such as product pages, a shopping cart, checkout, and payment processing.
- Medium Store (50-500 products):
A medium-sized Shopify store would require additional features such as category pages, product variants, and more advanced shipping options. Developing a medium-sized Shopify store can range from $5,000 to $20,000.
- Large Store (500+ products):
A large Shopify store would require additional customization and integration with other systems, such as inventory management, ERP, or CRM systems. Developing a large Shopify store can range from $20,000 to $50,000.
Please keep in mind that these are just rough estimates, and the actual cost of your project may vary depending on your specific needs and requirements.
The complexity of the design, the number of custom features required, and the level of integration with third-party systems can all impact the cost of a Shopify website. It’s always best to consult a professional Shopify developer to get an accurate cost estimate for your project.
Tips To Manage Shopify Costs
Sure! Here are the tips for managing Shopify costs:
- Plan and allocate a budget for unexpected expenses and future growth.
- Prioritize essential features over unnecessary ones.
- Choose the right Shopify pricing plan for your Store’s size and requirements.
- Use free and affordable apps from the Shopify App Store for added functionality.
- Optimize images to improve page load times and customer experience.
- Manage inventory efficiently to avoid overstocking and reduce inventory holding costs.
- Invest in SEO to drive organic traffic and improve your Store’s visibility.
These tips help you manage your Shopify costs and run a successful online store.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can You Build A Shopify Website For Free?
While creating a basic Shopify website for free using a free trial is technically possible, it is not recommended for something other than a professional business website. To launch a professional Shopify website, you must invest in a paid plan that includes essential features and customization options.
Shopify offers different pricing plans starting from $29/month. Additionally, you may need to invest in custom design, development, and app costs to create a high-quality website.
What Is The Biggest Problem With Shopify?
One of the biggest problems with Shopify is that it can become expensive for businesses as they grow and require more advanced features and customization.
Additionally, Shopify can limit businesses’ control over their website’s functionality and design, which can be a drawback to some companies.
Is Shopify Worth It For A Small Business?
Yes, Shopify can be worth it for small businesses as it provides an easy-to-use platform with various features and integrations to help enterprises to start and run their online stores.
Shopify offers affordable pricing plans, user-friendly design tools, and multiple apps to help small businesses succeed online.
How Much Does The Average Shopify Store Earn?
The average earnings of a Shopify store can vary greatly depending on the industry, store size, and level of competition.
However, according to Shopify’s 2021 Q1 report, the average revenue per user (ARPU) on Shopify was $50 per month, with the top 10% of stores earning an average of $3,538 per month.
The cost of building a Shopify website can vary depending on store size, design complexity, and required features. A small store with a basic design can cost
between $1,000 to $10,000, a large store with advanced features and custom design can cost upwards of $50,000 or more.
However, there are ways to manage Shopify costs, such as prioritizing essential elements, choosing the right Shopify pricing plan, using affordable apps, optimizing images, managing inventory efficiently, and investing in SEO. Following these tips, you can build a successful Shopify website within your budget.